- The rainy season usually goes from mid-June to late July, but it does NOT rain every day and you can travel.
Osaka Weather in January
- Average high (C/F): 9.5/49
- Average low (C/F): 3/37
- January in Osaka tends to be clear and cold. It might rain or even snow a few times during the month. The snow doesn’t stick on the ground for more than an hour or so. Most businesses are closed from December 29th to January 3rd for the shogatsu (New Year’s) holiday. For the rest of the month, things are quiet and uncrowded so this is a good time to visit.
Osaka Festivals and events in January:
- 9, 10, 11 January – Toka Ebise Festival: People go to Imamiya Ebisu-jinja Shrine and get bamboo branches and lucky baubles to pray for a good and financially successfully year.
Osaka Weather in February
- Average high (C/F): 10/50
- Average low (C/F): 3/37
- Winter continues through February. It might rain or possibly snow a few times during February, but the snow won’t stick. This is a fine time to visit if you don’t like crowds.
Osaka Weather in March
- Average high (C/F): 14/57
- Average low (C/F): 6/43
- It warms up in March. But be warned, it might be cold, cool or warm during March, so be prepared for anything but hot weather. This is a great time to visit. In mid-March the plums blossom and in late March, the cherries usually start blossom. Most of March is uncrowded, but the last week tends to be busy with domestic tourists.
Osaka Weather in April
- Average high (C/F): 20/68
- Average low (C/F): 11/52
- Spring really arrives in April. The first 10 days of the month are the busiest time for sightseeing and Osaka can be packed during this time. The cherries usually peak during the first week of April. The weather is usually warm, but be prepared for the occasional cold day and cold evenings. The second half of the month is usually uncrowded and lovely.
- Average high (C/F): 25/77
- Average low (C/F): 16/61
- Average high (C/F): 28/82
- Average low (C/F): 20/68
- Average high (C/F): 32/90
- Average low (C/F): 24/75
Osaka Weather in August
- Average high (C/F): 33/91
- Average low (C/F): 25/77
- August is usually very hot, humid and sunny. If you can handle the heat, August can be a good time to travel because it’s not crowded.
Osaka Weather in September
- Average high (C/F): 29/84
- Average low (C/F): 22/72
- September is a wonderful time to travel in Osaka. It’s usually sunny, hot and humid at the beginning of the month, moderating to sunny and warm at the end of the month. This is low season for tourism and hotels can be a bargain.
Osaka Festivals and special events in September:
- 14 and 15 September – Kishiwada Danjiri Matsuri: This is one of the wildest festivals in Japan. It’s a bit like the running of the bulls in Pamplona, but here groups of men pull huge wooden festival floats at some very high speeds through the town of Kishiwada, in Southern Osaka. To see it, get to the west side of Kishiwada Station on the Nankai Main Line (starts at Nankai Namba Station).
Osaka Weather in October
- Average high (C/F): 23/73
- Average low (C/F): 15/59
- October is one of the best months for weather in the whole year: sunny and warm days predominate, with cool evenings. It’s a very pleasant time to travel. At the very end of the month, the leaves start to change color.
Best Budget Hotels in Osaka
Osaka Weather in November
- Average high (C/F): 18/64
- Average low (C/F): 10/50
- November rivals May as the best time to travel in Osaka. The weather is usually warm or cool and sunny skies are very common. Osaka’s fall foliage is lovely during mid- to late November.
Osaka Weather in December
- Average high (C/F): 12/54
- Average low (C/F): 5/41
- Winter really starts in December, but the skies are often clear. The temperature varies from cool to cold in the day, with cold temperatures in the evening. If you don’t like crowds, this is a good time to visit, but remember that things shut down from December 29th until January 3rd.
Osaka Festivals and special events in December:
- 31 December – Shogatsu (New Year’s): People gather in their homes to celebrate the New Year. Many people visit temples to ring the temple bells at midnight approaches. A good spot to see this is at Kurodani Temple or Chion-in Temple. After midnight, many people visit a shrine to pray for good luck. A good spot to see this is Yasaka-jinja Shrine or Heian-jinja Shrine.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my 第一次在大阪 guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide 在大阪哪里住宿
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive 日本装箱单
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- Find out why travel insurance for Japan is essential – World Nomads is well-regarded